Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Bring it

Allow me to bask in my late 20's.
There. Now that that's done, let's see what I have to look forward to.


Yes that's right. On Thursday I will be turning 30. Honestly I don't see why people freak out when they hit this age. Sure I'm married, but I'm not exactly in the place I thought I would be. If you asked me 5 or 10 years ago where I'd be at when I'm 30, I would have never said that I'd be living in my parent's basement because the state of Alabama tried to royally screw my husband out of getting a single dollar of the unemployment he earned there. Yep, there are three things in that sentence I never would have said at 20:
1. Parent's basement. 2. Alabama. 3. Husband.
Life is funny like that. If my 20's have taught me anything, it's that sometimes you can't control everything (or anything really) no matter how hard you try.

In a funny way, I'm sort of looking forward to the next 1o years. I've heard a lot of people say that they felt so much more confident and happy in their skin once they hit 30 because they didn't care about trying to conform to what other people wanted. In one aspect, I'm 100% ready to embrace that confidence and I'm hoping it feels like when you go off to college and realize that whomever told you that high school was the best years of your life...was obviously smoking crack.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the happiest with myself. I have a certain constant level of stress when thinking about finances. I have gained back the 13 pounds I lost in Alabama which is trivial when I think of how I gained back a happy marriage and shed my depression. I've been battling my weight since I was 18 and I've come to the consensus that if I can never fit a size 12 again, then so be it. BUT that being said, I will try to maintain a moderately healthy lifestyle, make smarter food choices, and try to increase my activity. In fact, I'm starting a class called SHAPE tomorrow-think high intensity strength training.

So instead of focusing on what I couldn't do, or what I didn't have, or how I wasn't thin enough (i.e. my 20's), I'm going to focus on things that I'm good at....things that I really want to do...things and people who truly make me happy. So I'm embracing turning 30. Bring it.

1 comment:

lisadeanna said...

I have not done this blog thing in a LONG time (my own included!) so I am a little (ok, a lot) late to the party. However, I just read this post and I LOVE IT!! Amen, sister!